every year when we have our own little music festival in Arizona called McDowell Mountain Music Festival, I really get a warm fuzzy thinking back to 2007 and our first live exposure to GPN. Also, met Owllover and her hubby there, as well as a few other folks from the street team. 2008 brought GPN back to MMMF, this time a stronger lineup with GPN playing ahead of Robert Randolph and Family Band, then Gov't Mule. Still one of my favorite festival days with those 3 bands playing consecutively - strong! Robert sitting in w/ Mule on Soulshine, and Grace on the Take me to the River - I still get chills thinking about it. After a move of the festy to the Compound Grill parking lot, we had to go back last year to see GPN headline Sunday - enjoying an afternoon with Danado and Dick was a fine way to cap the weekend. we'll head up tomorrow for Big Head Todd and Dark Star Orchestra - a much closer and easier event than Coachella or a drive to Colorado. Sure wish GPN made a trek to sunny AZ while on this western swing.....
in 2008, GPN was the first band to ever play the festy 2x, then last year became the first band to ever appear 3x. I sure hope that they make it a grand slam next April!