+ Reply to Thread

Thread: "Midnight" released 14 Aug 2015

GPN Historian Tedheadone is on a distinguished road Tedheadone's Avatar

"Midnight" released 14 Aug 2015

Parents want the best for their kids. They want them to explore their options and find out what suits them best, and what they love to do. Why is it any different for your favorite artist? I guarantee you that Grace lost fans when the music went from "Original Soul" to "Nothing But The water". I know she lost fans when she progressed to "This is Somewhere".

Hell, the guy who effectively ran/monitored this discussion page, ("LovethatRhodes" I think he called himself), disappeared with disgust at that release.

But this business knows that you have attrition and addition with each release. And the name of the game is not necessarily to keep your past fans "happy", but to grow the fan base..ideally doing what you want your way. Ideally, pulling your fans along with you.
    Me, I think if you are really a fan, you go along for the ride, and enjoy the scenery. I'm a fan of Grace's voice, her spirit, her fearlessness. So I want to hear her sing.

So, all of you bitching and moaning, believe me, I've heard it all before. You're entitled to it, go right ahead, and we'll either see you at a show or we won't. But the fact is, it is less and less likely that it will be on the rail, because the crowds will continue to grow.

I didn't listen to any of the songs until release date, wanting to hear each in context, although i had heard a few live. A few times through and I'm enjoying where Grace is taking us. Sure, it has a pop direction. But quite frankly, there are several songs that would have fit right in on the last album. And one or two that would have fit on any.
    And there are vocals that just make me smile.

It starts off very similar to the last album, with a build to a bang in "Hot To The Touch"

"Alive Tonight" has an eat drink and be merry, for tomorrow we may die, screw it all, girls just wanna have fun, live for today message.

"Your Girl" is a delicious lament..no more Midnight Queen, no more booty calls, no more getting' it on the side..I like your girl too much to do that to her. And the "Aw, shit" at the end... is she reinforcing...or did she change her mind???

"Empty Heart" Replace the staccato piano with tasty guitar licks and it would fit on any previous album. "The Miner" would too.

"Delirious" Hey, when the day turns to night and then day, i get delirious myself. This song gets the full treatment. I can see dancers on this one. I don't WANT to see dancers, but i can imagine them. I can see any popster singing this, Madonna included, until Grace takes it to a place none of them can, and does what none of them can do- when she WAILS! And ends with what can only be described as vocal feedback

"Look What We've Become" starts out sounding like Prince circa "Dirty Mind" but quickly turns into a song I can absolutely imagine Michael Jackson singing on his never-to-be This is It Tour. How classic and contemporary at the same time.

"Instigators" A call to her fans? "United we stand divided we fall, its time to crossover"

"Biggest Fan" Some of you may have thought....

"Low" another song I can imagine on a previous release

"Nobody is Born with A Broken Heart" Might be my favorite song. I'm a sucker for a sing along anthem. As I listen to the lyrics, i think back to some of Grace's earliest songs, when she wrote about situations she simply imagined from another's point of view. I'd like to ask/plead/beg Grace, here and now, to go ahead and think about the song the green eyed man writes to his son; to go ahead and write it for him. Doesn't have to be on next album, just a special chestnut you pull out and play acoustic someday as a very special treat..but only if I'm in the audience please.

"Let You Go" Big White Gate updated for someone slipping away..ALZ?

I get out of this release what i came for...Grace singing. And I can't help but think of Darius Rucker leaving Hootie and finding his way to country, Jason Isbell leaving Drive By truckers and releasing an album that just topped Country charts, Taylor Swift doing a pop album..all of them bringing along a lot of their fans and winning many new ones. And Steven Tyler poised to crossover as well.

Grace is in the game, she's playing on a slightly different field, this album is a base hit, time will tell if it is a double, a triple or a home run. That popping sound you hear is Steve Morse pulling his head out of his ass.

Who knows what the future holds for Grace? I believe a bigger stage. A stage that she will continue to rock.

Fan StateOfGrace is on a distinguished road StateOfGrace's Avatar

Re: "Midnight" released 14 Aug 2015

THANK YOU!!!! I'm so tired of defending this album! I truly feel bad for the people not willing to give Midnight a chance. They are missing out on some amazing songs and hearing them live even better!

Super Fan marknga is on a distinguished road marknga's Avatar

Well said. I am in the midst of giving it my truck test. I listened the album twice last Sunday and this week the CD stays in the truck CD Player. I usually find in the course of a week or two my favorites will emerge, they are the songs that I unconsciously skip to, of course there will be some that I unconsciously forward past. Happens to every 8 track, cassette, cd , digital download I have ever listened to. My favorites grow on me.
    I love hearing Grace sing, I love watching her perform and I look forward to seeing how this new album grows on the road. The one thing I have learned in the last few years of being under the Policy Woman's spell is that the songs take on a life of their own when performed live.

Empty Heart is an early favorite, The Miner I thnk live (heard the version in the philly radio station and it smoked) would be great.
    And let me say: Does anyone else hear a lot of Benny Yurco influence on "The Biggest Fan"? If you have ever listened to any of Benny's solo cd's you might have noticed.
    Thanks for the great review TH, y'all have fun and enjoy the music.
    "gonna need your help, thats right Atlanta give me your very best soul clap. We gonna get all Freaknic up in this sh$t" Grace 2-26-11

Fan kired is on a distinguished road kired's Avatar

Alright, I'm putting on my poncho to keep off the vitriol. There, now I can say this. This may be the most solid of the studio albums. There, I said it. As much as I love those early songs, I don't really listen to the records. I listen to the live bootlegs. This is an album I will listen to.
    I'm not sure what you're on about, but I'm sure it's very important to YOU.

New Member Douger is on a distinguished road

I like the cd, have also bought the vinyl but haven't had time to listen to it. Relieved to finally hear more from Grace!

+ Reply to Thread